The PocketLab Maker Cart
1. You will reuse one of the PocketLab boxes to build the PocketLab Maker Cart. Empty the contents of one of the boxes included in the kit.
2. Flatten out the folds of the box so the box is flat.
3. Fold up two of the box flaps so that the box looks like the picture below. Using scissors, cut along the black markings in each of the four corners. Keep the side flap folded over so that you cut through two layers of the box.
4. Cut out the square shown in the picture below.
5. Cut one of the straws to 4.5 inches in length. Unfold the box flaps. Slide the straw through the seams that you created by cutting the box.
6. Cut two pieces of the straw to 1.5 inches in length. Slide one piece of straw under each seam on the opposite side of the box.
7. Slide the wooden dowels through the straws. The straws will serve as the bearings for the cart and the dowels will be the cart axles.
8. Fold up the front and back of the box. Fold the small flaps so that they are 90 degrees to the front and back walls. Fold the side flaps over the top of the small flaps and then tuck it into the bottom of the box.
9. After you have folded the side flaps, the bottom of the box with the axles should look like the picture below.
10. Close the top lid. Tape the top lid shut so it does not pop open.
11. Tape the straw bearings in place. Make sure the straws extend past the outside of the box, so that the wheels do not rub against the box. Slide the red wheels onto the dowel axles as shown.
12. Your PocketLab Maker Cart should look like the picture below. You can use the PocketLab Maker Cart in this version for many experiments. If you want to turn the PocketLab Maker Cart into a rubber band cart, follow the additional instructions below.
The PocketLab Rubber Band Cart
13. Cut the loop of one of the colored rubber bands. Tape one end of the rubber band to the top and side of the Maker Cart as shown.
14. Turn the cart over and lay the rubber band along the bottom of the cart. Make sure that the rubber band comes across to the axle with the cut out underneath it. Cut the rubber band so that you have about 1 inch of length that extends past the wooden dowel.
15. Use the beige colored rubber bands to add tire treads to the red wheels. Add the rubber bands to the wheels that you will wind with the rubber band. This will help the cart get traction and move faster when the rubber band is released.
16. You can attach PocketLab to the top of the Maker Cart with tape or to the wheels with the adhesive Velcro strips.
17. To propel the cart, wind the rubber band around the rear axle. Hold the wheels until you're ready to release the cart.